Tomorrow I’ll be running in circles for 24 hours. I’m in denial, as usual.
I have no clue what this will be like. I haven’t run longer than 50km or 10 hours. It might be hot. It might be cold. It might storm. It might be sunny. It might be all of these things, and more.
My goals are:
A Standard: 100 mi
B Standard: 90 mi
C Standard: 75 mi
I don’t know how achievable any of these are. I suppose it depends on conditions, my health, and my mental capacity.
Less quantifiable goals:
1. Relentless forward progress. No long breaks. No sleeping in the tent. No quitting early.
2. Avoid sunburn and manage heat.
3. Eat and drink well. Keep my GI system healthy.
4. Finish happy, healthy, and with my relationships with my husband and my dad intact.
5. Gain a better understanding of what else I need to do to be prepared to run a 100 mile race next year.
If I do those three things, I should be able to achieve any of the distance standards I’ve planned out.
I’ve overpacked, overplanned, and undertrained for this race. Sounds like a typical situation for me.