Here’s to a year of running seriously!
I rang in the new year this year by “summitting” Ely’s Peak. It was unpleasant. I was in knee-deep snow at times. I only “ran” 2.3 miles. I can’t say that there was more than a half a mile of that that I’d consider actual running, sans quotation marks. It took an hour.
2015 was a pretty good year for running (for me): I ran 1193 miles, completed 6 races and volunteered at another, and lost 20 lbs. It was a good start.
In 2016, I want to be a bolder, braver runner. I have goals to that effect. My must-achieve goals are:
- Become an ultramarathoner (at the Wild Duluth 50k)
- Get “redemption” at the Park Point 5 Miler (by running much faster)
- Be more social (by meeting other runners, joining UMTR, participating the NMTC races this summer, and volunteering)
I have some stretch goals, too.
- Run a 5k under 30 minutes
- Complete a whole cycle of aerobic/MAF training
- Eat better
Some are more achievable than others, obviously. I have to eat better, but I am not sure if I can develop overall “better” eating habits in a year. I’m not even sure what that means. I do have to figure some stuff out, food-wise, before the fall. Otherwise completing 50k is going to be rough. Well, it’ll be rough anyway, but I need to be as prepared as possible.
I don’t know if the 5k goal is possible but I also don’t care, I am going to try.
I have three goal races. I’ve had these tentatively planned as goal races for awhile, but I wasn’t sure if I was staying in Duluth or not. The goal races are:
- Superior 25K, May 21st (if I get in via the lottery)
- Park Point 5 Miler, July 14th
- Wild Duluth 50K, date TBD
I plan on running other races, of course, but I will be following specific training plans for those three. If I don’t get in to the Superior 25K, I’ll make the Zumbro 17 my spring goal race, as I am already signed up.
These are all big dreams and nothing more at the moment, but I’m already working to lay the foundation for success this coming year. I hope to stay injury-free, motivated, and happy!